Transforming Teacher Pedagogy

As I’m planning the two day foundation practicum for our third cohort of Digital Pedagogy Leaders, I find myself reflecting and revisiting prior learning.. to aim for even better and higher results.  Why do I do this to myself…mmmm… why don’t I use what I’ve done before…. well because the group are different and it’s about catering to the needs, interests and experience of the group.  I also take on board feedback given by previous groups and appreciate their professional input into our regional community of practice.

“The Art of Facilitation” (Joan Dalton/David Anderson) once again is on the top of my hit list… I revisit www.plotpd.com for variations on facilitation strategies.

I have developed my own personal mantra for the facilitation of this particular group:

• Reflect on what you know
  • Share your understandings
  • Develop new understandings
  • Apply your understandings
  • Reflect within your own context

This is for OUR benefit as well as the community.  I feel it is important that we are explicit in everything we do.  The community practicum is not about US the facilitators – but about the Community of Practice we are trying to develop.    I believe that professional learning needs to be more aligned with individual contexts and prior experiences (constructivist approach).   Everyone is on a different journey… and these journeys need to be honoured and aided.  I believe that the knowledge exists within the network (connectivism) and that our role is vital in helping our members to make relevant connections – the “collective wisdom” of the group is critical too!  If these are our regional leaders, then it is about allowing them to take on this responsibility within a connected community where they feel supported and guided.

I’m trying a couple of new strategies this time… as I’m still not entirely happy the with the “personalising professional learning” session that I lead.  So will try:

* First Word – Last Word strategy with a case study reading on a professional learning approach used to enhance digital technologies…  I saw @joram10 facilitate this really well so feel like I can have a go;

* Top Ten – I’m altering my ‘contribution chart’ strategy to something called a “Top Ten” bit like the Top Ten caravan parks in New Zealand!  I want them to not just brainstorm a wide list, but to really think about the most important from that list.

* will not use the online community as much as I’d like… however I haven’t really experienced success with using it in a f2f practicum… so it will become a reference point but not critical to the 2 days.

* connecting the new group with the other 2 groups – so we maintain regional community.. will try different appraoch here this time too.  Will still use a webconference but rather than just for the sake of ‘connecting with others’ will use the P-10 ICT Expectations (Thanks AKinnane) as the focus of the webconference, but bringing  together our f2f group with the other members of the community also linking in.

* Will also look more deeply at models for the SCPD Framework – this seems to be a recurring request..

and I’m rather proud of myself… being the ‘controlling organised’ temperament type who usually needs a ‘set agenda’ have allowed for a totally flexible session on day 2 that will depend on the flow of the group, and what their ‘wants and needs’ are – so totally unplanned and will be going with the flow! (can’t say I won’t be nervous about this though).

Am also thinking I should print myself some palm cards – thanks to David Anderson – and really focus on the ‘language that I use’ during the two days, eg.

Rather than WHAT DON’T YOU UNDERSTAND say WHAT HAVE I NOT EXPLAINED CLEARLY

Rather than I’D LIKE YOU TO THINK ABOUT say AS YOU SHARE WITH OTHERS, YOU MIGHT LIKE TO THINK ABOUT..

Rather than THAT’S A TERRIFIC IDEA… say THANK YOU – WHO HAS A DIFFERENT IDEA? OR YOU’VE ADDED A DIFFERENT PERSPECTIVE TO OUR THINKING

Rather than I’M GOING TO GIVE YOU 5 MINUTES…. say TAKE 5 MINUTES TO… OR HOW MUCH TIME WOULD YOU LIKE FOR THIS ACTIVITY…

See the difference!  Amazing when you focus on the language that you use…so that it is inclusive, invitational, gives power & choice to the group, shared responsibility, valuing of diversity – all what a dynamic functioning community of practice should exhibit!

One thought on “Transforming Teacher Pedagogy

1. Really impressed! Everything is very, very clear, open is a description of the problem.It contains the information.I wanted to let you know that I linked to your site with a dofollow links so visitors can come to see your blog.It is all very new to me and this article really opened my eyes,and I guess since I like reading your blog, others will too.You can find the link to your site here: